Saturday, June 30, 2012

Saturday 30th of June 2012

We got up at first light and went to take some early morning photos of the mountain. The sunlight made the snow look pink.



We then headed into New Plymouth for breakfast at Maccas.
We had a quick look at the beach near the port. There is a very old swimming pool built in the 1920's.



Then it was time to pack again and check out of the motel. Back on the road heading South towards Mount Taranaki, we stopped several times for photos.



We drove up to the information centre on the north face of the mountain. There are many different walks you can take from this point, but we only had time for a quick walk up to the monument commemorating the death of AH Ambury who died trying to rescue a climber who fell on the ice at 6300 feet in 1918.




I then took the nature walk back to the cafe. This took about 15 minutes.








The ferns continued to grow despite the snow falls.


This beautiful sculpture hangs inthe information centre.
We then had hot chocolate before heading off South.


This view of the gardens at Hawera where we stopped for lunch.



I have always loved for get me nots. The colour is the most beautiful blue.
We are staying the night at a motel in Wanganui. We found an "English Pub" for tea. While at the pub, my phone stopped working. I rang Telecom and a very patient lady helped me work out that somehow my 3g was switched off. I do not know how I could have managed that, but at least it is sorted now.

Location:Wanganui

No comments:

Post a Comment